Counter and Groove

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Honey, I'm home ;)

Greetings! I'm back in the UK! Well actually, I was back since 11pm on thursday but.. ha

I'm still a little jet-lagged, infact I only got about 3 hours sleep last night. I've been feeling pretty shite too, sort of sad to be back into the routine of nothingness that I held before leaving for Japan. Oh dear ><, Anyway! In a rather camp attempt to try and distract my homesick-mind from my beloved Japan, I decided to cook. For some reason I made a bunch of brownies: they taste great! However! The mind was not quenched; the beast still festered! So I went for the jugular and whacked out a recipe for okonomiyaki that a Japanese friend recently gave me.

Okonomiyaki is like a pancake with stuff in, I had one in Osaka with friends so it would kick-arse to re-visit that legendary dish.

Dead easy to make and pretty rad tasting! You'll need


  • an Egg
  • Flour (1 cup)
  • Water (1 cup)
  • Cabbage (shred finely)
  • Onion (shred finely, use cabbage:onion ratio of about 4:1)
  • Bacon (1 rasher, cut it up)
  • Worcester Sauce (spices things up. Warns off the undead, and pinkeye)
  • Mayonaise (pah nah mah nee nee nee, mayo!)
  • A pan
  • A spatula

Ready to rock? Let's cook, biotch!

1. Prepare the batter by combining the egg, flour and water: mix it to a fairly runny consistancy, similar to pancakes!
2. Heat the pan and pour in a tiny bit of cooking oil
3. Pour in some batter: just enough to form a circular base (about 10-15cm diameter).
4. Sprinkle a load of the shredded cabbage/onion on top of the disc of batter.
5. Place the chopped bacon on top of the cabbage/onion.
6. Pour some more batter over the cabbage/onion/bacon.
7. Allow to cook for a few mins.
8. Flip it over
9. Repeat steps 7+8 until it's done
10. Rescue from the pan and deliver to the safety of a near by plate.
11. Apply ones desired sauce: Worcester and mayonaise rock.
12. Enjoy!

Note: this recipe is a loose guide! use whatever fillings you wish

Yeah, give it a go and see what you think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home