Counter and Groove

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Gone Fishin'

Wow, had a cool day today! Got woke up by a dutch guy at 5.30am asking if I wanted to head out to the Tsukiji fish market: the worlds largest fish market, I believe! I aggreed and hastily got showered and dressed before going to the station to meet two other guys.

We arrived at Tokyo station (near the market) about 40 mins after and grabbed a bus bound for the market itself.

Upon arrival we were greeted by an immensely hectic network of transporters and people dashing around to collect/deliver fish and various other sea-dwelling creatures.

The variety of creatures on sale was vast: fish, octopus, squid, sea urchins, shellfish: basically, if it's from the sea, it was there! And the amount of activity was going on was equally vast: I even got splashed by a drip of fish blood as the guy next to me carved up a fish of some sort.

The four of us happened to bump into a Japanese stall-owner (selling raw tuna) who could speak some English: he called us over to chat about England and such, Anyway, after not so long he was showing us his collection of money and articles from around the world so I gave him a UK penny that I happened to have on me. He was extatic and ran to the back of his shop, picked up a bloody huge sword/knife and charged back at us. Panic kicked in. Well I lie, in his other hand he had a huge chunk of dead tuna which he slapped down and began to disect into small cubes: the dude was indeed prapring us some fresh tuna sashimi (raw fish)! He then grabbed a pot of sauce and insited we ate some. IT was pretty good actually! Shortly after he whipped out some ocha (green tea) that he'd just brewed. Ah, such an unusual breakfast!

Afterwards we went to the imperial palace (again), followed by a trip to the Sony building in 'Ginza'. Pretty interesting stuff there ;)

Anyway, I'm off to meet some friends for one last drink or something - tonight's my last night in Japan ><, tomorow night I'll be in the airport waiting for my early morning plain. Argh, so sad..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home