Counter and Groove

Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Monotonous Drone of the Undead Crypt

I paid a visit to the hospital today to try and fix some minor problem with my ear (too much metal). I was shocked to find a room, infact a whole hospital, 99% populated with the old. I understand that they're more prone to attempted visits from the reaper and such, but still, it made me coil back and think over the concepts of prolongued life..

It was really strange actually, surreal in it's own bizzare way, to hear a constant background droning of the chatter between the aged clients. What were they talking about? And to who? Or why, for that matter? Just meaningless streams of words to pass the waiting time?

I can't help but think what it's going to be like in a few years when the life-expectancy crawls way up past 100 - imgaine it: the whole UK will passivley drift into a state of waiting for the inevitable. Aged lemmings on the metaphoric cliff of one big seaside resort, if you like.

The constant drone of the undead crypt
Serving no purpose; following no script
Seemingly pointless, corrupting the peace
Onlookers wait for the waiting to cease
Waiting for nothing, expecting it all,
Willing to wait, not ready to fall.

Yeah, just a bit wierd that, got me thinking.


PS, happy startreek day! (especially Luke and CJB!).