Counter and Groove

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

A Happy Byrd-Day Indeed

At 2.30ish pm the call came; it was the prompter of Joy, Luke J. Foster himself:

"Dude, it's Chris' bday, wanna come to the Curry house tonight?"
"shit, can't sorry, gotta band practice"
"argh.."

sadly, I had a band practice booked and couldn't bail on them (again), after slefishly cancelling in favour of exams and such for the past few weeks. And then it came, part 2 of 'the call':

"..we're off to a club or something after if you want to meet up?"

Team Ben: "Fuck yeah". I was in. The plan was set. The clouds had cleared; The joyous rivers of good-things-to come were flowing- and flowing nicely at that too!

So, I jammed and then got my arse to scarborough in record time. Arriving at about 11pm, I was greeted by a room full of people, including the drunken birthday-boy, Chris Byrd himself - at which point I presented him with the fine array of gifts I'd prepared: a huge selection of crisps and 4 cans of Fosters, encircled in several layers of velvety-soft kitchen roll.

Before heading out to a local club, we decided to chill at the Cave of Tom for a bit, allowing time for Chris to bask in the warmth of his close friends and delightful gifts - including a framed picture of his beloved Clair and, erm, I forgot her name, and an onion, I mean, 'Eric', who soon found refuge in his groinal region.

Shortly after we departed and headed straight for Vivas. Coincidentally, on this night Vivas happened to be host to a bizarre conventnion of cross dressers, the local female mafia, ex-wwf superstars..oh wait, it was fancy dress, sorry! Yeah, there were hordes and hordes of trollish monsters caked in makeup and tacky costumes. I loved it, it was like the most bizarre dream I could ever wish for: Hulk hogan to the left of me, Batman to the right, there I was, stuck in the middle of vivas. Fucking A my friend, fucking-A.

Anyway, regardless of the population of the place, we all headed for the bar and got in some drinks (and bday bonus for Chris, of course!). And with the first sip of Fosters, the night commenced (and my fate of drunkness-to-come was sealed!).

Just like every other event I write about, the night was pretty surreal: It just seemed so intense to be immersed in a the hectic scene of the club with the CIC posse, a sea of fancydressers, genuine shot-dispensing trannies, fucking cack karaoke, mortal kombat, chilled beer... ah the list goes on!

2AM creeped up fast; too fast infact. It was time to bail. So we dispersed back to Toms cave, minus the Byrdster who dissappeard off to who knows where ;) Returning shortly after, we sought the olde faithful N64 and it's bigger bro' the GameCube to help us through to the early hours, before finally hitting the sack at some ungodly hour in the morning :intermission of a couple hours sleep: wake up, greet the Fostz0r, bum around for a few hours and then finally grab a bus back to civilization.

Another gnarly night in the company of the CIC posse ^^, We gotta sort out one last CIC-night out before we all vacate scarborg (pre-may24th for me!)!

PS - this entry is dedicated to Chris who was 21 yesterday. And to Matt because he loves my blog.