Counter and Groove

Monday, May 09, 2005

Walking Dreams

I happened to watch this film by total chance at a friends whilst enjoying the sweet-yet-sour taste of the aptly titled sweet-and-sour chicken.

I could spend all day trying to summarise it for you and in turn would wind up spending that said day talking complete, utter nonesense. Instead, I'll turn to a scene from the film which pretty much summarised and indeed described itself (at least in my view it achieved this):

"I'm writing a novel"
"what's it about?"
"It's not about anything! It doesn't have a story! It just follows people..."

..only search a bit deeper than the loose, generic term 'people' and instead consider it's other addressed points ranging from the meaning of life, financial entrapment, the potential of thought and you've a pretty sound representation to the whole film right there. Then again, that's my view!

The presentation of the film is again strange. It's so unique and infact rather difficult to pin a definite "so that's how it's done" to it: The style appears to be hand drawn, at times, and at others it appears to be filmed. Almost to the point where it opts for very-realistic animation, or completey unrealistic filming; Surreal to say the least. But for the most parts it seems to be a subtle blend of the two styles, almost as though arguing the hazed feeling of being half-awake after a good nights kip. I think this must have been done by filming and then applying some effects to it later in the editing room - either that or some outstanding artwork within the art dept'.

A really, really strange thing about this film was the way it handled my focus: most, infact all, films seem to strive to grasp and hold your focus; this film seemed to do the oppostie: sort of get your focus, then hurl it to the other end of logic and thought and get you thinking about something totally unrelated, totally incomparable, totally unthinkable perhaps..the number of times I was paying close attention one minute then the next just dazed off in a conscious state of un-focused catatonia. I'm certain that's purposely done - it just fits the whole 'looseness' and expression of the film too well to *not* be that way! sort of ;)

There were a few more scenes, events, characters and quotes within the film that I wanted to comment further on, but as cliche as this may sound, I can't quite form a solid enough reccollection of each to do so! ><,

hmm, I've just realised that this review seems to be circling around a vague, distant point of some sort, yet it doesn't look as though it's due to start spiraling in at any time soon.. maybe I should just retire on the review with the statement "go watch the film if you're up for some thinking- passivley or actively. Just watch it. Live it. Dream it.". But before you do just flick the light switch a couple of times, I think I left it on...